revised on March 12, 2018
America’s only Norwegian newspaper is seeking an understudy, someone with an interest in Norway and publishing who would like to take over as Editor-in-chief someday. Most of what’s needed to steer this ship can be learned on the job, but the two qualifications that will make this go smoothly is if you speak/read Norwegian fluently (or almost fluently) and know your way around Adobe InDesign.
What can’t be taught is the drive, the vision for this 129-year-old paper, and the enthusiasm to carry it into its 130th year and beyond. You bring that with you.
You would begin as Assistant Editor, ideally (for us) as a part-time employee responsible for many of the day-to-day operations of the paper, the Nyheter fra Norge section, and posting our digital editions to WordPress. From there you’d be involved in all conversations about short- and long-term planning for the paper, and your responsibilities would grow until you had all the tools needed to put out full-length issues of the paper on your own and were working full time.
The current Editor needs an understudy. Sometimes she is sick or needs to take time off, and eventually she will want to move on. At that point, The Norwegian American will be in your hands. We see this as an ideal position for a recent college or grad school graduate looking for that rare entry-level position with room for real growth.
This is an on-site position in Shoreline, Wash. Telecommuters need not apply. Compensation is negotiable, but under market rate—don’t say I didn’t warn you.
Job duties to start:
- • Find and trim Norwegian-language news stories for the Nyheter fra Norge page
- • Develop and maintain relationships with writers and other publications
- • Many other small editorial tasks, about half of which require Norwegian fluency
- • Post stories using our WordPress site
- • Follow SEO guidelines for posts
- • Coordinate with our social media experts to maintain and increase our presence
- • Post PDF to archives
- • Finish up and schedule weekly newsletter using Constant Contact
- • Manage subscriptions—apply payments made by various means to our subscription software, set up vacation holds and changes of address, sync this information with digital subscriptions
- • Send out renewal notices to subscribers
- • Answer phones, return voicemails, and reply to subscription and general questions that come in via email
- • Pay bills using QuickBooks
- • Invoice advertisers and deposit their checks
- • Send copies of the paper to those who request samples and those who’ve been featured in the paper
- • Complete other tasks, such as re-typing letters and mailing review copies of books, as needed to support the Editor
- • Organization and reliability—we need to know that if we tell you to do something it will get done, not just once but every time it needs to
- • Superb English skills—ability to write and edit interesting stories about assigned topics
- • Fluency in written Norwegian (Bokmål)—ability to shorten Norwegian articles and translate when necessary
- • Proficiency in InDesign and at least basic skills in Photoshop
- • Ability to work well with writers and other content producers
- • Friendly and professional phone manner
- • Social media proficiency
- • Knowledge of WordPress (some basic knowledge of HTML is a plus, but willingness to learn will do)
- • Proofreading and copyediting skills
- • Knowledge of QuickBooks is a plus, but willingness to learn will do
- • Familiarity with the Norwegian-American community and/or Norway is ideal
- • Organization and reliability—yep, this is first and last on the list. Seriously, scatterbrains need not apply. The current Editor has cornered the market on that trait.
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.