Sun Valley Nordic Festival
The First Annual Sun Valley Nordic Festival will take place January 30-February 7, 2010. The festival features 9 days of activities, races, clinics and fun events along with a $49, 9-day valley-wide Nordic trail pass, discounts on demos/rentals, lodging and dining which showcase and celebrate Sun Valley’s well-deserved reputation as “Nordic Town USA”. A trip to the Nordic festival will also be given away at www.svnordicfestival.com.
Highlights of the festival include:
· Ski the Rails – a family-friendly “ski at your own pace” tour along the Wood River Trail. Don’t forget the after party at the Sun Valley Brewery featuring live music and downtown shopping specials.
· Nordic Night of Champions – a send-off celebration for local Nordic skiers who will be participating in the 2010 Olympic Games.
· Downtown Ketchum Nordic Night & Concert – a celebration of all things Nordic at the future site of the Sun Valley Center for the Arts. Sol’ Jibe will supply some high energy dance music as the Sun Valley Ski Education Foundation and the Elephant’s Perch hold some fun races. Enjoy the ice sculptures and bonfire and stay warm with some great winter fare.
· 200K Trails Challenge – a non-competitive challenge to ski all of our world class trails and be eligible for some great prize drawings.
· Sun Valley Nordic Sprint Races – featuring a 1.5K course and cash prizes.
· Sun Valley 5K Snowshoe Challenge – a fun 5K course and great prizes.
· Author/Olympic Skier John Morton – Behind-the-scenes observations from his experiences at seven different Olympic Games. Presented by the Community Library.
· 10th Annual “Best of Banff” Mountain Film Festival – enjoy award-winning films on mountain sports, culture and environment.
· Boulder Mountain Tour – The festival culminates with the renowned race with over 800 participants on the beautiful 32K course on the North Valley Trails. The first annual Half Boulder Race will also be introduced this year for racers who want a little less of a challenge, and offers a special Parent/Child Combo entry fee.
· Other great activities include: Guided Snowshoe Adventure, Avalanche Awareness Program, Showshoe With a Ranger, Boulder Mountain Prep, a ski/dining experience at Smiley Creek and more. www.svnordicfestival.comfor more details.
Sun Valley has a well-deserved reputation for world-class alpine skiing, but is also making a name as “Nordic Town USA” with the best nordic ski terrain in the US. In fact, it’s so good, members of the Norwegian Olympic Nordic Ski Team come to the valley to train. Sun Valley has plenty to offer Nordic skiers and winter recreationalists of all ages and abilities, from over 200 kilometers of groomed trails and one of the country’s premier Nordic ski races, unmatched snow and weather conditions, and a vibrant community of Nordic skiers and sports enthusiasts, to plenty of other top-notch yet affordable recreational and cultural diversions. For all the Cool Deals on lodging, dining, and activities, please visit www.svnordicfestival.com.
The creation of the Sun Valley Nordic Festival was a collaborative effort from a wide variety of groups, individuals, and businesses, now known as the Sun Valley Nordic Ski Alliance, who are all interested in further promoting Sun Valley as a major Nordic ski destination. They include: Sun Valley/Ketchum CVB, Boulder Mountain Tour, Blaine County Recreation District, Sun Valley Resort, The Elephant’s Perch, Backwoods Mountain Sports, Sturtevants Mountain Outfitters, Sun Valley Center for the Arts, Sun Valley Ski Education Foundation, Hawley Graphics, Idaho Conservation League, Ketchum/Sun Valley Heritage & Ski Museum, Sawtooth Avalanche Center, Sun Valley Running, The Community Library, Galena Lodge and Hailey Chamber of Commerce.