Summer Berry Salad for Syttende Mai
A showstopper for your holiday table
Taste of Norway Editor
The Norwegian American
The arrival of fresh, plump berries at the market is a sure sign that summer is coming. When berries are in season, they are easy to enjoy in all of the usual ways: on a bowl of granola or oatmeal, baked into a decadent dessert or simply eaten out of hand.
But what about trying them in a more unexpected application? Something leaning toward savory but that still showcases and highlights the sweetness of the berries?
This Summer Berry Salad is a showstopper of a salad that does just that and will make a colorful and delicious addition to your 17th of May table.
Crisp spring greens are tossed with a creamy balsamic vinaigrette, fresh berries, goat cheese, and toasted almonds. The result is a sweet and savory delight that celebrates these precious jewels of summer.
Not only is this salad delicious to eat, it also makes a stunning presentation on a platter for a midsummer gathering or other festive summer celebration.
Get ready to wow your guests on the 17th of May with this unexpected and gorgeous summer salad.
Summer Berry SALAD
- 1½ tbsps. balsamic vinegar*
- 3 tbsps. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. honey
- ½ tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tsps. sour cream
- 1 tbsp. minced shallot
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 5 oz. spring mix greens
- 1½ cups fresh berries (a mix of quartered strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and/or blackberries)
- ½ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese
- Whisk the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, honey, mustard, sour cream, and shallot together in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the greens to a large bowl and toss with the vinaigrette. Gently fold in the berries, almonds and goat cheese. Season the salad to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to a platter and serve immediately.
* The vinaigrette can be prepared up to 2 days ahead of time. Store it in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator and give it a good shake or whisk before tossing it with the greens.
This article originally appeared in the May 2023 issue of The Norwegian American. To subscribe, visit SUBSCRIBE or call us at (206) 784-4617.