Little church on the blue mounds

The story of the Hauge Log Church National Historic Site and the little town that fought to protect it Doug King Mount Horeb, Wis. For over 160 years, the Hauge Log Church has stood alone and undisturbed, high on a hill in the Town of Perry, Wisconsin. Early Norwegian settlers built the Hauge Log Church in 1852. In 1927, over 2,000 people attended its 75th anniversary. This year is its 162nd anniversary. The building was constructed by early Norwegian settlers in search of freedom in a new land. They named it after Hans Nielsen Hauge to honor one of their spokesmen from the old land. Each settler was called upon to provide oak logs and help erect the structure. The logs were cut and drawn during the fall and winter of 1851, and construction of the 22-foot by 22-foot square buildi
Become a subscriber to keep reading and gain access to 1000s of articles! Digital subscriptions start at $7 for one month of access, and a one-year digital subscription is only $30. Subscribe Check out our subscriber plans
Already a subscriber? Log in here

The Norwegian American

Published since May 17, 1889 PO Box 30863 Seattle WA 98113 Tel: (206) 784-4617 • Email: naw@na-weekly.com

You may also like...

%d bloggers like this: