4,854,000 residents in Norway

The population of Norway is estimated to be 4 854 000 at the turn of the year. This figure represents a population growth of 55 000 persons or 1.1 per cent in 2009, down from 62 000 or 1.3 per cent in 2008.

The population growth is estimated to be 11 per cent lower than in 2008, but in recent years it has been higher than in 2009 only in the two preceding years. Approximately 36 per cent of the population growth is due to a higher number of births than deaths, while the remaining 64 per cent is due to net migration from abroad. In 2007 and 2008, the surplus of births constituted some 30 per cent of the population growth, whereas the corresponding figure for the years 1994-1996 was some 70 per cent.

Excess of births, net migration and population growth. The whole country. 1951-2009

About the estimation

The population is estimated for the country as a whole and at county and municipality level. It is based on information from the population register, using data on births, deaths and migration up to 1 December 2009. The population growth in December is estimated using approximately the same relative growth as in December 2008. If the level of births, deaths and migration changes markedly in December this year compared to last year, the population will vary correspondingly.

For some municipalities it may look like the development we have seen so far in 2009 has changed, but this is due to the estimation method used. This is especially the case for small municipalities, where the figures must be regarded as a preliminary estimate.

Source: Innovation Norway

Norwegian American Logo

The Norwegian American

The Norwegian American is North America's oldest and only Norwegian newspaper, published since May 17, 1889.