American Lutheran Congregation of Oslo celebrates 50

The generosity of members and friends in Norway and America, and the support of the parent church body in the U.S., made it possible to build the beautiful church at Fritznersgt. 15, which was dedicated in October 1964. "Christ the King", the impressive bronze figure which graces the facade of the church exterior, is the creation of Professor Egon Weiner, formerly of the Chicago Art Institute. It was dedicated on August 27, 1967.

The American Lutheran Congregation (ALC) is celebrating its 50th Anniversary in Oslo

The ALC of Oslo is an English-speaking, ecumenical congregation affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). Its ministry is directed to the permanent English-speaking residents of the city, as well as short-term residents, embassy personnel, foreign students, refugees, and tourists.

The first service at ALC was held in October, 1958. The work of organizing the new congregation was placed in the hands of Dr. Oscar C. Hanson. His dedicated labors through two years of work laid a strong foundation for the congregation, writes ALC on its website.

The congregation was founded following World War II to provide for the many Americans in the Oslo area. The mission of the congregation is “to share the good news of Jesus Christ by serving spiritual, social, family, and personal needs — providing experiences that foster spiritual growth.” Life together is rooted in Bible study and prayer, with a strong emphasis on adult education and small group ministry.

As part of the 50th anniversary celebrations a concert, featuring the Oslo Chamber Orchestra (Oslo Kammerorkester) and guest singers from the Chorus of the Norwegian Opera, was held on Oct. 9. Works by Ole Bull and Giacomo Puccini, plus a new Cantata composed especially for the celebration by Átila Mellilo were also on the program.

Source: American Lutheran Congregation

Bookmark and Share

You may also like...